Request Error on Calling Freshly Installed Orchestrator 2012 R2 Web Service

Previously I’ve encountered this error on the Preview build of Orchestrator 2012 R2 and now I’ve encountered in the RTM bits.


This error appears in the following scenario:

You have SQL server to store the Orchestrator DB. In my case it is SQL Cluster. You have one server where you want to deploy all Orchestrator roles.If you use the installation wizard and deploy all Orchestrator roles at once you will not have this error. The Orchestrator web service will work perfectly fine. But using the all in one installation doesn’t give you the flexibility to have different service accounts. So if you deploy with the all in one installation wizard first the management server and the web features the Orchestrator web service works fine. But as soon you start the installation again and deploy the Runbook server role on the same server the web service starts to give request error upon calling it. Apparently when you deploy the Runbook server role on the management server separately something is changed in the Orchestrator database and the web service stops working. Even if you have other servers with the web service they will also start giving the error.

The workaround

If you are OK of using all Orchestrator roles with one service account just install all roles at once. If you want to use different accounts have a dedicated server for Orchestrator management role and separate servers for Runbook and/or web features roles. As long as you do not install the runbook role on the management server separately your Orchestrator web service will be fine.

Request Error on Calling Freshly Installed SCO 2012 R2 Preview Web Service

For some weeks I am having this issue with System Center Orchestrator 2012 R2 Preview. When I install the web service and the console and try to call the web service (http://localhost:81/orchestrator2012/orchestrator.svc/) I receive the following error:


Request Error

The server encountered an error processing the request. The exception message is ‘An error occurred while executing the command definition. See the inner exception for details.’. See server logs for more details. The exception stack trace is:
at System.Data.EntityClient.EntityCommandDefinition.ExecuteStoreCommands(EntityCommand entityCommand, CommandBehavior behavior) at System.Data.EntityClient.EntityCommandDefinition.Execute(EntityCommand entityCommand, CommandBehavior behavior) at System.Data.EntityClient.EntityCommand.ExecuteReader(CommandBehavior behavior) at System.Data.EntityClient.EntityCommand.ExecuteScalar[T_Result](Func`2 resultSelector) at System.Data.Objects.ObjectContext.ExecuteFunction(String functionName, ObjectParameter[] parameters) at Microsoft.SystemCenter.Orchestrator.WebService.OrchestratorContext.OnContextCreated() at invoke_constructor() at System.Data.Services.DataService`1.CreateProvider() at System.Data.Services.DataService`1.HandleRequest() at System.Data.Services.DataService`1.ProcessRequestForMessage(Stream messageBody) at SyncInvokeProcessRequestForMessage(Object , Object[] , Object[] ) at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.SyncMethodInvoker.Invoke(Object instance, Object[] inputs, Object[]& outputs) at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.DispatchOperationRuntime.InvokeBegin(MessageRpc& rpc) at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.ImmutableDispatchRuntime.ProcessMessage5(MessageRpc& rpc) at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.ImmutableDispatchRuntime.ProcessMessage31(MessageRpc& rpc) at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.MessageRpc.Process(Boolean isOperationContextSet)

I think the problem is how connected to that I am using remote clustered SQL instance but as I am not IIS expert it is hard to me to troubleshoot it. But I’ve found workaround.

The Workaround

Uninstall the SCO 2012 R2 web service and console and install SCO 2012 SP1 web service and console (all other SCO roles are 2012 R2). So far it seems this solution is working for me. I do not recommend using this solution but if you are in a stuck situation you can try it.