MP University is free 1 day online training event that focuses on SCOM and Azure. As you know for the past several weeks I have been blogging about Azure Monitor Alerts so when I was offered the opportunity to do online session on that topic – I was all in. Besides blogging I also like presenting. Being able to do that online is good for me due to my busy schedule (both personal and work one). So if you are interested on that topic and seeing more of what I have blogged or any of the other sessions in the event please go here and sign up.
Yep it is true now System Center Advisor is free for Microsoft customers. Previously you had to have Software Assurance in order to use the service. Keep in mind that the service is available only for certain number of countries. Read the full announcement here.
Windows Server 2012 has out of the box a disaster recovery solution for virtual machines named Hyper-V Replica. Unfortunately this solution is not automated but luckily you can automate this solution whatever you like with System Center 2012 Orchestrator. Charles Joy from MSFT even offers free runbooks to the community to make that disaster recovery automated. He made two scenarios – one without using the other System Center components and other where he uses SCSM to initiate the failover. Actually the solution is documented with documents and video. You can directly implement the runbooks in your environment or you can change them to fit your needs. It is up to you to make the logic. The solution is pretty fast and most important free if you have Windows Server 2012 and Orchestrator 2012. I’ve seen a solutions for Disaster Recovery that cost a significant amount of money and in the end they are hard to configure, 1 of 3 cases failed during failover and have certain limitations. So I suggest grab this solution from here and make your Disaster Recovery.
What’s a “Jump Start” Course?
Training specifically designed for experienced technologists whose jobs demand they know how to best leverage new, emerging Microsoft technologies. These advanced courses assume a certain level of expertise and domain knowledge, so they move quickly and cover topics in a fashion that enables teams to effectively map new skills to real-world situations.
Windows Server 2012 Jump Start Details
- Course: “Windows Server 2012: Preparing for the Datacenter Evolution”
- Date/Time: June 20-21, 2012 from 9:00am – 4:00pm PST / 17:00 – 00:00 CET
- Where: Live virtual classroom (online from wherever you are)
- Cost: FREE!
- Target audience: IT Professionals and IT Decision Makers
Day 1 Morning: Beyond Virtualization
• Learn about the game changers in the next release of the Hyper-V role on Windows Server 2012
– Scale, CPU, RAM, Cores, etc.
– Networking Switch (recorded demo hopefully)
– NUMA and performance
– Hyper-V over SMB and Hyper-V over RDMA
– Shared Nothing Live Migration
– Live Storage Migration
– Moving VM from test to a production cluster without downtime
• Massive scale increases, networking improvements, replication and disaster recovery is all in the box
– IP Address Virtualization
– IP Address Virtualization with SCVMM 2012 SP1
Day 1 Afternoon: Manageability
• Learn about how you can manage a few systems up to a hundred systems – all from one console
– Server Manager
– DAC… and related topics
– Installing roles in offline VHDs
• Server Core installs scaring you off? Learn about all your installation and management options
– Moving from Core-MiniShell-Full UI and back again
• Windows PowerShell automation and management at scale – all with built in tools
– PowerShell ISE and command simplification
– PowerShell new features and new PowerShell replacements for common commands
– Automating OS level tasks, IP addresses, etc.
• Clustering—Cluster-aware updating
– Network Teaming and network configuration
– SMB MultiChannel and RDMA
Day 2 Morning: Storage
• Learn how Continuous Availability of File Services improves workload reliability and performance
– Setup HA File Server; SMB Failover
– Running SQL over SMB; Running Hyper-V over SMB
• Storage groups, disk provisioning, iSCSI and SAN integration
– Storage Spaces
– Built-in ISCSI; Boot from ISCSI
– Windows Online Backup
Day 2 Afternoon: Remote Users
• Remote connectivity options for your workforce
– DA; Offline Domain Join and DA
– DA simplified Setup; Possible DA Multi-Site
• VDI and Remote Desktop Services deployment and changes
– User level disks
– Pooled / Private VDI Setup
– VDI Quick Setup
– Multi-Touch RDP
Infront Consulting Group offers free MP for monitoring Orchestrator 2012 via SCOM 2007/2012. Taken directly from Infront site:
The Infront System Center Orchestrator Management Pack is a FREE MP that allows you to monitor your Orchestrator Runbooks in System Center Operations Manager 2007 R2 or 2012. The native Microsoft MP provides monitoring for the Orchestrator server roles and architecture but it doesn’t monitor your Runbooks. The free Infront System Center Orchestrator Management Pack fills in this gap by allowing you to monitor your Runbooks in SCOM.
The MP can be downloaded for free by registering here.
Many Thanks to Infront for sharing this MP with the community.