I’ve been applying UR2 across almost all System Center 2012 R2 components so I’ve decided to share some tips with you:
- You can apply UR2 directly on RTM version. It is not needed to apply UR1 first.
- I’ve stumbled on error applying the update. More here.
- Applying the SPF Update will require stopping IIS.
- After applying the update you might need to reconfigure the IIS binding again.
- The Update for the Runbook Worker server has been pulled. It is stated here. You can update the web service and the PowerShell module but I suggest you to postpone until the update for Runbook Worker is also released.
- You Management Server/Runbook servers might require restart after applying the update.
- There are two SQL scripts that you need to apply for SCOM. Scripts are located in %SystemDrive%\Program Files\System Center 2012 R2\Operations Manager\Server \SQL Script for Update Rollups\. Update_rollup_mom_db.sql is applied against OperationsManagerDB and UR_Datawarehouse.sql is applied against OperationsManagerDW. The second script is not described in the installation instructions
- When you apply the scripts above better stop SCOM services on all SCOM management servers. Otherwise scripts might be applied partially and you will need to run them again.
- SCOM agents have update but after updating agents version remains the same.
- On servers where you have applications with APM monitoring enabled upon update of the SCOM agent restart is requested. You can see that request only if update the agent manually. The console probably suppresses that restart.
- Do not forget to import new versions of the MPs located in %SystemDrive%\Program Files\System Center 2012 R2\Operations Manager\Server\Management Packs for Update Rollups
- Do not forget to apply SQL script after update. SQL script is located here.
- Some WAP updates require stopping the IIS service.
- In my case PowerShell API update requested server restart
6 thoughts on “Tips for Applying Update Rollup 2 on System Center 2012 R2 and Windows Azure Pack”
Regarding SCOM SQL scripts:
I previously applied UR1 and it seems like update_rollup_mom_db.sql script is the same (I compared file hashes).
It seems like script against SCOM db is not needed for UR2 update if you previously ran it for UR1. Only dw script is needed to be run if you previously upgraded to UR1
Yes you are right but to be on the safe side better apply both.
I Aggree with that.