In my previous posts I’ve covered Configuring HP ProLiant Server Management Pack and Configuring HP BladeSystem Management Pack and now it is time of another MP by HP. In this post I will cover how to configure HP Storage Management Pack for SNMP Devices. This MP supports two more methods (WEBES and WMI) for monitoring bedsides SNMP and depending on the method various HP Storage systems are monitored. The HP devices supported by SNMP method are:
- Tape Storage
- B-Series Switches
- HP 3PAR Storage System
- HP D2D Backup System
Note: I will cover configuration that only needs to be done on SCOM side. Configuration on the different storage systems for SNMP is available in the user’s guide of the management pack. Make sure you have the latest firmware versions of these devices
It is common practice management packs such HP Storage to be installed on the RMS server but depending on your environment you can use any other server with SCOM agent on it. Follow these general steps to install and configure HP Storage MP for SNMP devices:
1. Install Windows SNMP Service feature on your RMS server.
2. Download the HP Storage Management Pack from HP site.
3. One zip file is download which when extracted contains the following files:
• HP Storage Management Pack for System Center.zip
• HP Storage WEBESListener for System Center.zip
• HPStorageManagementPackforSystemCenterUserGuide-2.x pdf (User Guide)
4. If you will not use WEBES method you can only unzip HP Storage Management Pack for System Center.zip.
5. Copy the zip files to your RMS server.
6. Unzip the HP Storage Management Pack for System Center.zip file.
7. Navigate to the unzipped folder, and run setup.exe.
8. Click Next to continue.
9. Click Next to confirm the installation.
10. Click Close after installation is finished.
Note: All files including the HPEnterpriseStorageMP.mp are installed in ~:\Program Files\HP\HP Enterprise Storage directory for a 32-bit operating system, and ~:\Program Files(x86)\HP\HP Enterprise Storage directory for a 64-bit operating system.
11. The management pack will be automatically imported in SCOM if not you can locate the mp file and import it manually.
12. After the MP is installed SNMP Service have to be configured.
12. Start Services.msc. Locate SNMP Service and double click on it to open Properties.
13. Click on Security tab.
14. Check Send authentication trap.
15. Add Community name with READ rights on Accepted community names. This is the community name that you will use for Storage devices when configure them.
16. Select Accept SNMP packets from these hosts.
17. Add the IP addresses of every storage device you will monitor trough HP Storage MP.
18. Click OK to save settings.
19. After SNMP Service is configured properly SNMP Trap Catcher Rule in HP Storage MP have to be enabled.
20. Open SCOM console.
21. Click on Authoring pane.
22. Click on Rules.
23. In the Rules window, search for HP Storage Trap Catcher rule using the Look for: search bar.
24. Right-click the HP Storage Trap Catcher rule and select Overrides > Override the Rule. Select For a specific object of the type: HP Storage SNMP Trap Catcher discovery and in the search filed find the FQDN of your RMS server. Select it and click OK.
25. Override Properties window will appear.
26. Check the box under Override column. Change the value under Override Value from False to True. Select the management pack that you save overrides and click OK.
Note: Management Server Action Account has to be a member of the Operations Manager Administrators user role in SCOM. If this not set you may have trouble with some PowerShell scripts not being able to finish successfully.
Another additional configuration that I recommend is that if you do not have P4000/E5000/X5000 systems in your environment is to disable HPEnterpriseStorage.SNMP_CommandExecutor.Rule and HPEnterpriseStorage.WMI_CommandExecutor.Rule. These rules are executed every minute and could cause some performance issues on your RMS server also they are improperly targeted to Group. Follow these steps to disable them:
1. Open SCOM console.
2. Click on Authoring pane.
3. Click on Rules.
4. In the Rules window, search for SNMP_Command using the Look for: search bar.
5. In the listed rules search for the Type : Group.
6. Right Click on the HPEnterpriseStorage.SNMP_CommandExecutor.Rule -> Overrides -> Override the Rule -> For all the Objects of the class :Group.
7. Select the check in front of Enabled. Set Override value from True to False. For Management pack select your MP for overrides and click OK.
8. Repeat steps from 4 till 7 searching by WMI_Command for HPEnterpriseStorage.WMI_CommandExecutor.Rule rule.
After these steps are executed you are left with only configuring the storage devices to send SNMP packets to your RMS server.